Euro Club Top Ten—April 29, 2014
Posted: April 30, 2014 at 6:00 am
1. Saracens (Last Week: 1): No reason to drop Saracens from the top spot in our rankings after they demolished Clermont in the Heineken Cup semi-finals. They got a little help from Nigel Owens but there is no question that Saracens were the better side. They are still alive for the double.
2. Toulon (2): It was tough against Munster but it was mission accomplished for Toulon, who like Saracens, are still in the hunt for a double. Their form is getting better and better every week.
3. Leinster (3): Leinster had the weekend off but are still in the top spot in the RaboDirect Pro12.
4. Montpellier (5): Montpellier had the weekend off. Just two points off the Top 14 lead isn’t a bad place to be.
5. Northampton (7): Yes, it was the Amlin Challenge Cup and not the Heineken Cup but it was still another solid win for the Saints. Their season maybe back on the uptick after a mini-slump.
6. Munster (6): Tough, tough loss for Munster. They were right there with Toulon but just missed out. Now they can focus on winning the league.
7. Clermont (6): The yo-yoing all season in the results column in the Top 14 finally caught up with them in the Heineken Cup. Still, many people would pick them to win the Top 14.
8. Glasgow (9): Giving up nearly 40 points to Edinburgh isn’t great but Glasgow are solidly in a playoff spot in the RaboDirect. They are also hot at the right time.
9. Racing Metro (8): Racing Metro had the weekend off but they will certainly make the Top 14 playoffs.
10 Leicester (10): It has to hurt the Tigers to have missed out on the Heineken Cup semis.