1. Munster (Last Week: 1): No reason to drop Munster from our top spot this week. They were missing some key players to Ireland duty but they still soundly beat the Ospreys, who had been third in the league (in fairness the Ospreys were missing players too).
2. Leinster (2): We could just ditto what we said for Munster but that would be cheating, wouldn’t it? In many regards its been a quiet season for Leinster but they are right there, only two points behind Munster.
3. Clermont (4): Just a week after we dropped them for a poor loss they come back with a 42-16 wrecking of Montpellier. They truly are the hardest side in Europe to figure out.
4. Northampton (3): The Saints don’t deserve to drop on their own, after all, they beat Newcastle this last weekend but Clermont’s win was impressive.
5. Saracens (7): Saracens are right behind Northampton in the standings and are waiting for them to slip up. The club continues to do the right things and easily came away with a 23-10 victory over Exeter.
6. Toulon (6): They are tied for third in the Top 14 thanks to their 15-9 win over Bayonne. It wasn’t pretty but it was a job done.
7. Montpellier (5): We go ahead and include them last week saying we had overlooked them all season and they come out and lay a stinker of a performance. Figures.
8. Ulster (8): It was closer than it should have been but they did beat Benetton Treviso over the weekend. Still, they are ten points behind Leinster.
9. Stade Francais (9): Like Ulster, they won but it should have been by more. Stade need to figure themselves out quickly before they risk falling down the ladder and fighting for a playoff spot.
10. Castres (NR): They are tied with Toulon in the standings and did themselves a big favor by beating Toulouse, who are now on the outside looking in for the playoffs.