European Club Top Ten–Feb. 14
Posted: February 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm
1. Munster (Last Week: 1): A demolition of Cardiff showed off exactly how much depth Munster has. It also kept them a top of the RaboDirect Pro12 standings and our rankings for another week.
2. Clermont (3): They had to work for it but Clermont regained the top spot in the Top 14 with a win over Stade Francais. The question surrounding the team is can they hold on to that lead the rest of the season or will they continue to yo-yo?
3. Leinster (2): Leinster are still number two in the RaboDirect Pro12 and beat Zebre last weekend, but it was Zebre. Clermont’s win was just that much more impressive.
4. Northampton (6): The Saints narrowly escaped with a victory over Exeter last week but thanks to Saracens slipping they’ve taken over the top spot in the Aviva Premiership.
5. Stade Francais (5): They played well against Clermont but ultimately didn’t have the talent to match them. Still, full credit for how they played. It’s truly been a renaissance season for the club.
6. Toulon (8): A win over Biarritz was expected but needed. They are still behind in the title race but aren’t that far behind.
7. Saracens (4): The Sarries made a major mistake this last week when they let London Irish walk all over them. The club had been in the driver’s seat in England and now they are going to have to work to get it back.
8. Ulster (9): They struggled a bit without some of their key players against the Ospreys but they got the job done.
9. Castres (10): Like Ulster they barely got past their opponent—lowly Oyonnax—but a win is a win.
10. Toulouse (7): Montpellier are a good side but Toulouse should not have last their match this last weekend. Currently they sit outside of a playoff spot.