The Los Angeles Rams are preparing for their NFL game against the New York Giants this weekend at Twickenham Stadium in London and players have been embracing the UK culture. (more…)
By Kimber Rozier CSCS, Pn1 – For all we do to prevent injury, it’s an unfortunate part of rugby. Sometimes it just happens – you land wrong and something snaps. I’ve torn ligaments, strained muscles, had staples in my head (more than once) and broken bones. And it’s heartbreaking. (more…)
Next month, the mighty New Zealand All Blacks will take on 2015 Six Nations winners Ireland at Soldier Field in Chicago, while the USA Eagles will also take on the Maori All Blacks that same weekend as part of The Rugby Weekend – perhaps the most high-profile weekend of rugby in the history of the sport in the States. (more…)
Don’t miss your chance to win the ultimate fan experience! Enter below to win a trip for you and friend to watch the USA face the Maori All Blacks in Chicago November, 4th. (more…)
By Kimber Rozier CSCS, Pn1 – Rugby is one of those cool sports where very little equipment is involved in the actual game. It’s just you, the ball, a mouthguard and possibly a scrum cap staring down your opponent. (more…)
By Kimber Rozier, CSCS, Pn1 – Saturday is a rugby day. We love that. It’s your time to shine and show what you’re made of. Of course, you spend the six days prior training with your team, smoothing out the kinks, and dreaming of diving over the try line. You’re well-prepared rugby-wise, so what can you do in the hours leading up to and hours following the match to make sure it all comes together? (more…)
With the 2016/17 Northern Hemisphere rugby season underway across Europe’s major leagues, the vast majority of clubs and international teams have released their jerseys for the year and it’s been a fascinating mix of retro, modern, and downright weird. (more…)
By Kimber Rozier, CSCS, Pn1 – The beginning of fall brings not only cooler weather but also the excitement of a new college rugby season. There is something special about seeing old friends and meeting new ones while pulling on your rugby cleats and taking the pitch again after a long summer break. (more…)
The English Premiership, currently known as the Aviva Premiership after the name of the British multinational insurance company who is the primary sponsor, is the top rugby union club competition in England. (more…)
NBC Sports Group is ready and eager for the kick-off of the 2016/17 Aviva Premiership, England’s top flight rugby league. The US-based network will air 70+ Premiership matches this season on NBCSN, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports. (more…)
Marshawn Lynch was a dominant force on the football field for California in college and the Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks in the NFL. The retired running back is in Australia helping the Golden Bears prepare for their opener against Hawaii but took a moment away from the gridiron to hit the rugby field. (more…)
It’s an old cliche that if minority sports such rugby had access to the best athletes the USA produced, they’d dominate the sport. Whether that’s true or not, there’s no doubt that the major US sports – football, baseball, basketball and hockey – feature many exceptional athletes with attributes that would have enabled them to dominate had they decided to pick up the game in some weird parallel universe. (more…)
Last week we went through the alphabetical top half of the English Aviva Premiership and paired up each of the teams with an NFL franchise that they most resembled in terms of ethos, success or general vibe. Now it’s time to look at the remaining five teams in the Premiership, and find out what NFL team is their trans-Atlantic equivalent… let’s dive in! (more…)
Every sports league has its heroes and villains – the teams the neutrals love and the ones that everybody loves to hate. (more…)
by Josh Gardner – After a long, hard 2015/16 season, the pro rugby players of the Northern Hemisphere are finally getting a few weeks of rest and relaxation.
Whether they’re on holiday, indulging in some unusual hobbies, or just getting odd jobs around the house, here are the Top 11 ways your favorite pro rugby players have been up to on their summer breaks…
11) Many players of course took advantage of their time off to get away from it all to have some fun in the sun. Case in point is Australia and Stade Francais scrum-half Will Genia, who’s certainly not taking it easy in Míkonos.
10) Meanwhile his former Wallaby teammate and current Bordeaux centre Adam Ashley-Cooper was also enjoying his time in Croatia – someone should probably tell him that’s not how you go snorkeling, mind…
9) Not every rugby star has been taking it easy by ocean this offseason, however – some rugby stars have been getting out on the water in a more active way. Sale and England centre Kyle Eastmond has been showing off both his guns and his jet ski skills in Barbados…
8) It’s not all about the water however – some rugby stars are more comfortable in the skies. Monster Clermont and France full-back Scott Spedding has been enjoying the Australian outback in a helicopter that, let’s be honest… is WAY too small for him.
7) Holidays aren’t just about seeing the sights chilling by the sea however, one rugby legend has been getting close to nature… real close! Recently retired 127-cap Springbok lock Victor Matfield has been making friends with a rhino, and he’s not the only one walking on the wild side…
6) Hot off the back of a victorious England summer tour, Jonathan Joseph has been channeling his inner Mowgli and making friends with the monkeys on holiday in Bali.
5) Unsurprisingly, many rugby stars have been taking advantage of their offseason breaks to indulge their passions for other sports, such as England flanker Chris Robshaw, who’s been enjoying the sunshine in Wimbledon.
4) Fresh off the back of a hard tour of New Zealand, Wales number eight Taulupe Faletau has wasted no time getting into the Euro 2016 spirit, heading straight over to Lille with fellow Wales teammate Hallam Amos, mixing with the fans ahead of Gareth Bale and company’s historic quarter-final clash with Belgium.
3) Not everyone has been spending their offseason off in exotic locales however – some rugby players have been spending their time in more productive ways, such as England, Lions and former Saints prop Alex Corbisiero, who’s been simultaneously hard at work in the garden and making the rest of us feel very inadequate.
2) Just because you’re an elite athlete doesn’t mean you can avoid the boring DIY jobs either, just ask England and Bath prop Rob Webber, who looks like he’s got a long afternoon ahead of him before he’ll be flipping burgers…
1) Finally, while the days of players boozing long into the night after a game are long gone, it’s nice to see that Wales teammates Paul James and Tom James can still have a few cold ones together on holiday in Dubai.
They might find many varied ways to enjoy it, but with the rigors of preseason training just around the corner, these rugby stars certainly deserve their time off…
By Josh Gardner – With the June international break nearly over, the Super Rugby will soon return, and with it will return some of the nicest, most eye-catching jerseys in the game. (more…)
The collegiate rugby sevens season concludes this weekend with the playing of the 7th Penn Mutual Collegiate Rugby Championship from Talen Energy Stadium in Philadelphia. NBC and NBCSN announced they will live coverage of select games on June 4 and 5. (more…)
The Irish Rugby Football Union and Vodafone Ireland announced a 4-year, $16.9 million partnership that will see the telecommunications company be the official telecom partner starting on June 1. (more…)
Perry Baker raced onto the rugby field after a knee injury ended his dreams of staring in the NFL and 2-years after signing a contract with the US Eagles residency program Baker is impressing on the rugby field and on social media. (more…)
Carlin Isles has established himself as one of the top USA Rugby 7’s players. The 26-year-old has not taken the standard path to his roster spot with the Eagles and talks about his journey to the game of rugby GoPro’s Two Roads series. (more…)