It’s an old cliche that if minority sports such rugby had access to the best athletes the USA produced, they’d dominate the sport. Whether that’s true or not, there’s no doubt that the major US sports – football, baseball, basketball and hockey – feature many exceptional athletes with attributes that would have enabled them to dominate had they decided to pick up the game in some weird parallel universe. (more…)
Last week we went through the alphabetical top half of the English Aviva Premiership and paired up each of the teams with an NFL franchise that they most resembled in terms of ethos, success or general vibe. Now it’s time to look at the remaining five teams in the Premiership, and find out what NFL team is their trans-Atlantic equivalent… let’s dive in! (more…)
Every sports league has its heroes and villains – the teams the neutrals love and the ones that everybody loves to hate. (more…)
by Josh Gardner – After a long, hard 2015/16 season, the pro rugby players of the Northern Hemisphere are finally getting a few weeks of rest and relaxation.
Whether they’re on holiday, indulging in some unusual hobbies, or just getting odd jobs around the house, here are the Top 11 ways your favorite pro rugby players have been up to on their summer breaks…
11) Many players of course took advantage of their time off to get away from it all to have some fun in the sun. Case in point is Australia and Stade Francais scrum-half Will Genia, who’s certainly not taking it easy in Míkonos.
10) Meanwhile his former Wallaby teammate and current Bordeaux centre Adam Ashley-Cooper was also enjoying his time in Croatia – someone should probably tell him that’s not how you go snorkeling, mind…
9) Not every rugby star has been taking it easy by ocean this offseason, however – some rugby stars have been getting out on the water in a more active way. Sale and England centre Kyle Eastmond has been showing off both his guns and his jet ski skills in Barbados…
8) It’s not all about the water however – some rugby stars are more comfortable in the skies. Monster Clermont and France full-back Scott Spedding has been enjoying the Australian outback in a helicopter that, let’s be honest… is WAY too small for him.
7) Holidays aren’t just about seeing the sights chilling by the sea however, one rugby legend has been getting close to nature… real close! Recently retired 127-cap Springbok lock Victor Matfield has been making friends with a rhino, and he’s not the only one walking on the wild side…
6) Hot off the back of a victorious England summer tour, Jonathan Joseph has been channeling his inner Mowgli and making friends with the monkeys on holiday in Bali.
5) Unsurprisingly, many rugby stars have been taking advantage of their offseason breaks to indulge their passions for other sports, such as England flanker Chris Robshaw, who’s been enjoying the sunshine in Wimbledon.
4) Fresh off the back of a hard tour of New Zealand, Wales number eight Taulupe Faletau has wasted no time getting into the Euro 2016 spirit, heading straight over to Lille with fellow Wales teammate Hallam Amos, mixing with the fans ahead of Gareth Bale and company’s historic quarter-final clash with Belgium.
3) Not everyone has been spending their offseason off in exotic locales however – some rugby players have been spending their time in more productive ways, such as England, Lions and former Saints prop Alex Corbisiero, who’s been simultaneously hard at work in the garden and making the rest of us feel very inadequate.
2) Just because you’re an elite athlete doesn’t mean you can avoid the boring DIY jobs either, just ask England and Bath prop Rob Webber, who looks like he’s got a long afternoon ahead of him before he’ll be flipping burgers…
1) Finally, while the days of players boozing long into the night after a game are long gone, it’s nice to see that Wales teammates Paul James and Tom James can still have a few cold ones together on holiday in Dubai.
They might find many varied ways to enjoy it, but with the rigors of preseason training just around the corner, these rugby stars certainly deserve their time off…
By Josh Gardner – With the June international break nearly over, the Super Rugby will soon return, and with it will return some of the nicest, most eye-catching jerseys in the game. (more…)
The collegiate rugby sevens season concludes this weekend with the playing of the 7th Penn Mutual Collegiate Rugby Championship from Talen Energy Stadium in Philadelphia. NBC and NBCSN announced they will live coverage of select games on June 4 and 5. (more…)
The Irish Rugby Football Union and Vodafone Ireland announced a 4-year, $16.9 million partnership that will see the telecommunications company be the official telecom partner starting on June 1. (more…)
Perry Baker raced onto the rugby field after a knee injury ended his dreams of staring in the NFL and 2-years after signing a contract with the US Eagles residency program Baker is impressing on the rugby field and on social media. (more…)
Carlin Isles has established himself as one of the top USA Rugby 7’s players. The 26-year-old has not taken the standard path to his roster spot with the Eagles and talks about his journey to the game of rugby GoPro’s Two Roads series. (more…)
New Zealand are eager to win Olympic gold this summer but their 7’s team is struggling with injuries and appears to be on the way to hitting Rock bottom. (more…)
The New Zealand All Blacks added to the silverware collection after being named the Team of the Year at the Laureus International Sports awards in Berlin last week. Dan Carter won the Comeback Player of the Year award. (more…)
BYU will host Cal in the Varsity Cup final at South Field on Saturday, May 7 and will be broadcast live on NBCSN (4PM ET/2PM MT). It will be the 4th consecutive Varsity Cup Championship to feature these 2 powerhouse teams. (more…)
In an ill-advised marketing stunt, AC Milan has a ‘team’ of actors take part in a haka as part of a promotion for Nivea before their Serie A match against Carpi on Thursday. (more…)
Rugby is the fastest growing team sport in the U.S. with the game becoming more and more common at the youth and high school level while it has strong roots in the collegiate and post collegiate levels. With this growth more and more athletes playing other sports are being approached to play rugby. (more…)
Villanova brought a close to March Madness this year in exciting fashion and now it is time to turn our attention to college rugby’s unofficial championship, the Penn Mutual Varsity Cup. (more…)
The Southern Hemisphere’s regional championship, the Rugby Championship, is headed to the Northern Hemisphere for the first time in the 21-year history of the tournament. Argentina will ‘host’ Australia at Twickenham on Saturday, October 8. (more…)
The New Zealand All Blacks are coming back to the United States this fall. The current Rugby World Cup holders will face Ireland at Soldier Field in Chicago on Saturday, November 5. Tickets for the historic match are available for avid rugby supporters through the Ultimate Fan Pre-Sale via TicketMaster. (more…)
The hijacking of EgyptAir flight 181 took center stage on the Tuesday news cycle with uncertainty over the reason behind the act or the outcome. But once the plane landed safely, all the passengers had been released, and it became clear this was not an act of terrorism a more lighthearted story has emerged. (more…)